Sunday, March 16, 2008

The I-Pod: The revolution


I-pods have revolutionised the way we listen to and buy music. We used to buy CDs’ or tapes from our local music store, which entailed a trip to the store and back with no guarantee that you would find exactly what you where looking for.

Today we can easily use the internet and buy the music we want from the I- Tunes store online. Alternatively, we may illegally download it from a site such as Lime Wire, all from the comfort of our homes! We can now choose and buy a particular song that we enjoy listening to; no longer having to pay for a CD that only has one or two tracks that we enjoy listening to. With i-Music we are also guaranteed the music we want, we no longer have to travel to music stores in an attempt to find our desired song. It’s now much cheaper and guaranteed from the comfort of our homes!

Listening to music has also become a simpler process. We no longer have to keep changing the CD or tape, as we can easily just change from artist to artist with the click of a button. We can also make a playlist and listen to many different artists in order of preference. We no longer have to carry large CD cases or tape cassettes because the I-Pod is small and can easily fit into our pockets. The I-Pod can be taken anywhere. Its versatility makes it easy to use anywhere as we can listen to it on a bus, train or car!

With the invention of the I-Pod we can see just how easy and accessible listening to and buying music has become!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes it saves time and effort but personally having the thrill of purchasing a hard cover cd album and haggling on end with the man behind the counter as to why they don't have exactly what you want, has an authentic feel to the whole pleasurable 'shopping experience'. It's an 'old school' method of contributing to local businesses and primarlily to the artists and companies who have created the albums!
Through the lack of physical social interaction by our digitalized world it is just forcing the new generations to become lazy and enter into the kind of crimes we are trying to avoid in society today!

Anonymous said...

i think that i-pods and all such other technology is great! If we look back at how the way we listen to;and obtain music, it is obvious that eventually there will be very few people buying CD's as No one buys records anymore. We change our lifestyles with the technology. I am Guilty when it comes to my next point and i think u will batttle to find someone who is not, the copying of music, CD's have become so expensive so theoretically this is the Artists own worst enemy.

Dael Stuart said...

I love to download music and get it from my friends. Something that I think is great is that, although you are looking for something specific, you quite often end up discovering new bands that you love!My music tastes have been vastly expanded by downloading the wrong thing or a mis-labelled song. I then also get to share my new treasures with my friends and so expose them to new artists. I don't know how this affects the song sales, but I can only hope it is a possitive effect as you are encouraged to find more of the album.

Cara Booysen said...

We are going to be a generation of deaf 40 year olds due to the Ipods and mp3 players which everyone seems to be addicted to these days.
How anti-social people have become... they sit waiting for lectures to start, and walk between lectures with their earphones constantly plugged into their ears. It makes communication and interaction inaccessible.
I download the occasional song, although I am not overly proud of it. I do feel CD's are a rip off though, and also clutter up my already full room. I fully agree that CD's are a shlep! If individual songs were easy to buy online in SA, I would. This country must hurry up and catch up!

Taryn Brown said...

Ipods have really made our lives easier! I remember going to the shops and having to search through loads of cassettes to find the one I wanted, nowdays we can just sit at home and download the music we want, no effort required! But in a way it is bad, I also agree with 'anonymous' it encourages people to become more lazy and not experience the thrill of going outdoors and shopping!