Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Deaf Generation

The deaf generation has been brought about with the growing popularity of mp3 players such as the I-pod. We have become a deaf generation in more than the obvious. Firstly it true people are losing their hearing by listening to devices such as the I-pod. I myself find it harder and harder to listen to people in loud places or even in the back seat of a car. Popular restaurants, clubs and bars I find myself asking the same question over and over again. “Sorry what did you say?” This I find rather tragic because I should only be losing my hearing at around 60yrs. It can all be attributed to my constant blaring of my music with regards to my I-pod.

However, this is not form of deafness I am able to see. People no longer talk to each other anymore. We all listen to our I-pods people can now ignore others and it’s no longer rude. One thing I found while living in Europe that seemed bizarre was people going to the mall to do their shopping while listening to their I-pod. People start to live in their own world more and more often. I did walk to school every day with my own I-pod in my ears but that was different if I had walked to school with a bunch of friends then I would never have ever listened to my I-pod. It just seems so anti-social to me but I guess these days anything goes!

I can remember another instance while on the Paris Metro when a bunch of young American tourists keep asking for directions but everyone just ignored them and listen to their I-pod. They all became deaf to the Americans. I feel that it is so sad that people have become like that! We are now deaf in all senses of the word!

No comments: